Obesity is defined as an abnormally high percentage of body fat (greater than 20%). The most accepted measure of obesity is the body mass index (BMI), because it best correlates with the amount of adiposity and is easy to measure [
]. It is defined as the ratio of weight (in kilograms) over the height (in meters) squared (BMI = kg/m2). Patients are considered overweight if the BMI is between 25 and 29.9, obese if the BMI is between 30 and 39.9, morbidly obese if the BMI is between 40 and 49.9 and supermorbidly obese if the BMI is 50 or greater [
National Institute of Health Consensus Development Conference Panel
Gastrointestinal surgery for severe obesity.
Gastrointestinal surgery for severe obesity.
Ann Intern Med. 1991; 115: 956-961
- Levi D.
- Goodman E.R.
- Patel M.
- et al.
Critical care of the obese and bariatric surgical patient.
Crit Care Clin. 2003; 19: 11-32
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Advances in Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Gastrointestinal surgery for severe obesity.Ann Intern Med. 1991; 115: 956-961
- Critical care of the obese and bariatric surgical patient.Crit Care Clin. 2003; 19: 11-32
- Obesity and diabetes in the developing world—a growing challenge.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 213-215
- A potential decline in life expectancy in the United States in the 21st century.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 1138-1145
- Obesity, fat distribution, and weight gain as risk factors for clinical diabetes in men.Diabetes Care. 1994; 17: 961-969
- Epidemiologic findings on body mass and blood pressure in adults.Ann Epidemiol. 1991; 1: 347-362
- Obesity and the risk of heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 305-313
- Selected major risk factors and global and regional burden of disease.Lancet. 2002; 360: 1347-1360
- Overweight, obesity, and mortality in a large prospective cohort of persons 50 to 71 years old.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 763-778
- Obesity.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1197-1209
- Body fat distribution, blood pressure, and hypertension: a prospective cohort study of men in the normative aging study.Ann Epidemiol. 1990; 1: 33-48
- Bariatric surgery a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2004; 292: 1724-1737
- Obesity cardiomyopathy: is it a reality? An ultrasonic tissue characterization study.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2006; 19: 1063-1071
- Cardiac function and obesity.Heart. 2003; 89: 1127-1129
- The effect of obesity on neutrophil Fc receptors and adhesion molecules (CD16, CD 11b, CD62L).Obes Surg. 2001; 12: 230-235
- Practice guidelines for the perioperative management of patients with obstructive sleep apnea. A report of the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Perioperative Management of Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea.Anesthesiology. 2006; 104: 1081-1093
- Effect of obesity on gastroesophageal resistance to flow in man.Dig Dis Sci. 1991; 36: 1473-1480
- . Overweight, obesity, and health risks.Arch Intern Med. 2000; 160: 898-904
- Drug therapy; obesity.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 591-602
- Bariatric surgery and long-term control of morbid obesity.JAMA. 2002; 288: 2793-2796
- Lifestyle, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk factors 10 years after bariatric surgery.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 2683-2693
- Morbid obesity and tracheal intubation.Anesth Analg. 2002; 94: 732-736
- Death from pulmonary thromboembolism in severe obesity: lack of association with genetic and clinical risk factors.Virchows Arch. 1999; 434: 529-532
- Anesthetic considerations for bariatric surgery.Anesth Analg. 2002; 95: 1793-1805
- Anesthetic considerations for bariatric surgery: proper positioning is important for laryngoscopy.Anesth Analg. 2003; 96: 1841-1842
- Peripheral nerve injuries associated with anesthesia.Anaesthesia. 2000; 55: 980-991
- Ulnar neuropathy: incidence, outcome, and risk factors in sedated or anesthetized patients.Anesthesiology. 1994; 6: 1332-1340
- Influence of obesity on surgical regional anesthesia in the ambulatory setting: an analysis of 9038 blocks.Anesthesiology. 2005; 102: 181-187
- Preoxygenation is more effective in the 25° head-up position than in the supine position in severely obese patients. A randomized controlled study.Anesthesiology. 2005; 102: 1110-1115
- Positive end-expiratory pressure during induction of general anesthesia increases duration of nonhypoxic apnea in morbidly obese patients.Anesth Analg. 2005; 100: 580-584
- Prediction of difficult mask ventilation.Anesthesiology. 2000; 92: 1229-1236
- Value of oropharyngeal Mallampati classification in predicting difficult laryngoscopy among obese patients.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 1998; 15: 330-334
- Airway management using the intubating laryngeal mask airway for the morbidly obese patient.Anesth Analg. 2003; 96: 1510-1515
- Intubating laryngeal mask airway in morbidly obese patients and lean patients. A comparative study.Anesthesiology. 2005; 102: 1106-1109
- Large tidal volume ventilation does not improve oxygenation in morbidly obese patients undergoing anesthesia.Anesth Analg. 1995; 81: 385-388
- Choice of volatile anesthetic for the morbidly obese patient: sevoflurane or desflurane.J Clin Anesth. 2005; 17: 413-419
- Anesthesia for a patient with morbid obesity using dexmedetomidine without narcotics.Can J Anaesth. 2005; 52: 176-180
- Thiopental disposition in lean and obese patients undergoing surgery.Anesthesiology. 1982; 56: 269-274
- Pharmacokinetic considerations in obesity.J Pharm Sci. 1999; 88: 1-7
- The influence of obesity on health.N Engl J Med. 1974; 291 (226–32): 178-185
- An evaluation of noninvasive blood pressure (NIBP) monitoring on the wrist: comparison with upper arm NIBP monitoring.Anaesth Intensive Care. 2002; 30: 43-47
- Ankle blood pressure measurement, an acceptable alternative to arm measurements.Int J Clin Monit Comput. 1996; 13: 167-171
- Morbid obesity in the medical ICU.Chest. 2001; 120: 1989-1997
- Perioperative considerations for patients with morbid obesity.Anesthesiol Clin. 2006; 24: 621-636
- Clonidine for treatment of postoperative pain: a dose-finding study.Eur J Pain. 2002; 6: 35-42
- Postoperative analgesic effects of celecoxib or rofecoxib following spinal fusion surgery.Anesth Analg. 2000; 91: 1221-1225
© 2007 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.