Management of the difficult airway has become much safer in the last century, largely because of the proliferation and variety of mechanical devices for ventilation, intubation, and tracheal tube exchange.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Advances in Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Laryngeal mask airway and the ASA difficult airway algorithm.Anesthesiology. 1996; 84: 686-699
Brian A, Denman W, Goudsouzian N. LMA-Classic and LMA-Flexible instruction manual: LMA North America, Inc.
- The laryngeal mask airway. A review and practical guide.WB Saunders, Philadelphia1997
- Comparison of cuff-pressure changes in LMA-Classic and the new Soft Seal laryngeal masks during nitrous oxide anaesthesia in spontaneous breathing patients.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2004; 21: 547-552
Hagberg K. Current concepts in the management of the difficult airway. Available at: www.asahq.org/rcls. Accessed October 14, 2007.
- A comparison of the laryngeal tube with the laryngeal mask airway during routine surgical procedures.Anesth Analg. 2002; 95: 1094-1097
- Comparative anatomical study of supraglottic airways.Anesthesiology. 2004; 101: A602
- The new perilaryngeal airway (CobraPLA) is as efficient as the laryngeal mask airway (LMA) but provides better airway sealing pressures.Anesth Analg. 2004; 99: 272-278
- Awake fibrecapnic intubation in head and neck cancer patients with difficult airways: new findings and refinements to the technique.Anaesthesia. 2007; 62: 214-219
- Circulatory responses to fiberoptic intubation in anesthetized children: a comparison of oral and nasal routes.Anesth Analg. 2007; 104: 283-288
- A comparison of the Seeing Optical Stylet and the gum elastic bougie in simulated difficult tracheal intubation: a manikin study.Anaesthesia. 2006; 61: 478-481
- Management of unexpected difficult airway at a teaching institution over a 7-year period.J Clin Anesth. 2006; 18: 198-204
- Bullard laryngoscopy by naive operators in the cervical spine immobilized patient.J Emerg Med. 2005; 29: 253-257
- Retrograde intubation of the trachea.Ann Emerg Med. 1987; 16: 680-682
- A simple percutaneous tracheostomy technique.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1990; 170: 543-545
- A non-derivative, non surgical tracheostomy: the translaryngeal method.Intensive Care Med. 1997; 23: 386-392
- Techniques for performing tracheostomy.Respir Care. 2005; 50: 488-496
- The gum elastic bougie.Anaesthesia. 1993; 48: 274-275
- Development of the “gum-elastic bougie.”.Anaesthesia. 2003; 58: 103-104
- Practice guidelines for management of the difficult airway: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Management of the Difficult Airway.Anesthesiology. 2003; 98: 1269-1277
Published by Elsevier Inc.