- •Observational research entails examining the relationship between exposures and outcomes. Cohort and case-control research methodologies are important in the context of rare outcomes and dangerous interventions, and for the external validation of randomized controlled trials.
- •Observational research has the risk of drawing incorrect conclusions based on the presence of confounders.
- •Regression analysis is the major technique for addressing potential confounders by providing adjusted estimates.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Advances in Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Estrogen replacement therapy and coronary heart disease: a quantitative assessment of the epidemiologic evidence.Prev Med. 1991; 20: 47-63
- Cardiovascular mortality and noncontraceptive use of estrogen in women: results from the Lipid Research Clinics Program follow-up study.Circulation. 1987; 75: 1102-1109
- Hormone therapy to prevent disease and prolong life in postmenopausal women.Ann Intern Med. 1992; 117: 1016-1037
- Patient-specific decisions about hormone replacement therapy in premenopausal women.JAMA. 1997; 277: 1146-1147
- Hormone replacement therapy and incidence of Alzheimer disease in older women the cache county study.JAMA. 2002; 288: 2123-2129
- Postmenopausal estrogen use and heart disease.N Engl J Med. 1986; 15: 131-136
Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/10/us/wyeth-stock-falls-24-after-report.html. Accessed February 14, 2012.
- Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women: principal results from the Women's Health Initiative randomized controlled trial. writing group for the women's health initiative investigators.JAMA. 2002; 288: 321-333
- Estrogen plus progestin and the incidence of dementia and mild cognitive impairment in postmenopausal women: the Women's Health Initiative Memory Study: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2003; 289: 2651-2662
FDA information. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm153355.html. Accessed February 14, 2012.
- The association of perioperative red blood cell transfusions and decreased long-term survival after cardiac surgery.Anesth Analg. 2009; 108: 1741-1746
- A regional quality improvement effort to increase beta-blocker administration before vascular surgery.J Vasc Surg. 2011; 53: 1328
Published online: September 10, 2012
© 2012 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.