Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Advances in Anesthesia
- Medical informed consent: general considerations for physicians.Mayo Clin Proc. 2008; 83: 313-319
- Anesthesia providers are obligated to give patients the alternatives to general anesthesia when obtaining informed consent.Transl Perioper Pain Med. 2014; 1: 5-8
- Nuances of informed consent: the paradigm of regional anesthesia.HSS J. 2007; 3: 115-118
- Informed consent.Anesthesiology. 1997; 87: 968-978
- Informed consent requires active communication.APSF Newsletter. 2008; 23: 4-5
- Informed consent for surgical anesthesia care: has the time come for separate consent?.Anesth Analg. 2010; 110: 280-282
Salgo v. Leland Stanford Jr. Univ. Bd. Trustees. 154 Cal App. 2d 560, 317 P. 2d 1093.
Natanson v. Kline, 186 Kan. 393, 411, 350 P. 2d 1093.
Cantebury v. Spence, 464 F.2d (DCCir 1972).
- Informed consent and cognitive dysfunction after noncardiac surgery in the elderly.Anesth Analg. 2018; 126: 629-631
- Relation between malpractice claims and adverse events due to negligence. Results of the Harvard Medical Practice Study III.N Engl J Med. 1991; 325: 245-251
- Convergence or divergence? comparing mental capacity assessments based on legal and clinical criteria in medical and surgical inpatients.J Leg Med. 2019; 39: 213-227
- Negligent care and malpractice claiming behavior in Utah and Colorado.Med Care. 2000; 38: 250-260
42 CFR 482.13(b)(2).
42 CFR 482.24(c)(2)(v).
42 CFR 482.51(b)(2).
- Wisconsin Administrative Code DHS 94.02(22).(Available at:)Accessed February 9, 2020)
- Ohio Revised Code 2317.54 Informed consent to surgical or medical procedure or course of procedures.(Available at:)Accessed February 9, 2020)
- Minnesota Statute 253B.03 RIGHTS OF PATIENTS.(Available at:)Accessed February 9, 2020)
25 TEX. ADMIN. CODE §601.9.
Shinal v. Toms. 162 A.3d 429 (2017).
Pennsylvania Statutes Title 40 P.S. Insurance § 1303.504(a)(1).
- Competency and the capacity to make treatment decisions: a primer for primary care physicians.Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry. 1999; 1: 131-141
- Assessing patients' capacities to consent to treatment.N Engl J Med. 1988; 319: 1635-1638
- Capacity to give surgical consent does not imply capacity to give anesthesia consent: implications for anesthesiologists.Anesth Analg. 2010; 110: 596-600
- Informed consent for regional anesthesia.Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2018; 31: 614-621
- Consent to medical treatment: informed or misinformed?.William Mitchell Law Rev. 1986; 12 (Article 5. Available at:) (Accessed February 9, 2020)
- Rethinking informed consent: the case for shared medical decision-making.Am J Law Med. 2006; 32: 429-501
- Twelve myths about shared decision making.Patient Educ Couns. 2014; 96: 281-286
- Shared decision-making in peri-operative medicine: a narrative review.Anaesthesia. 2019; 74: 13-19
Moore v. Regents of University of California, 793 P.2d 479 (Cal. 1990).
- Let the patient drive the informed consent process: ignore legal requirements.Anesth Analg. 2011; 113: 13-15
- Perioperative do-not-resuscitate orders.AMA J Ethics. 2015; 17: 229-235
- Do not resuscitate, anesthesia, and perioperative care: a not so clear order.Ochsner J. 2016; 16: 176-179
- American Society of Anethesiologists Ethical Guidelines for the Anesthesia Care of Patients with Do-Not-Resuscitate Orders or Other Directives That Limit Treatment.(Available at:)https://www.asahq.org/∼/media/Sites/ASAHQ/Files/Public/Resources/standards-guidelines/ethical-guidelines-for-the-anesthesia-care-of-patients.pdf(Accessed February 9, 2020)
- A new life for wrongful living, 58 N.Y. L. Sch. L. Rev. 2014;58,279-302.(Available at:)Accessed February 9,2020)
- Can women in labor give informed consent to epidural analgesia?.Bioethics. 2019; 33: 475-486
- Epidural analgesia during labour - maternal understanding and experience - informed consent.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2015; 35: 807-809
- Understanding and recollection of the risks associated with cesarean delivery during the consent process.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2012; 118: 153-155
- Consent for labour epidural analgesia: an observational study in a single institution.Anaesth Intensive Care. 2015; 43: 323-327
- Epidural analgesia for labour: maternal knowledge, preferences and informed consent.Ir Med J. 2011; 104: 300-302
- An evaluation of informed consent prior to epidural analgesia for labor and delivery.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2000; 9: 168-173
- Epidural anaesthesia: concerns regarding informed consent.Can Anaesth Soc J. 1985; 32: 681-685
- Issues of consent for regional analgesia in labour: a survey of obstetric anaesthetists.Anaesth Intensive Care. 2006; 34: 254-260
- Informed consent for labor epidurals: a survey of Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology anesthesiologists from the United States.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2006; 15: 98-103
- Advances in labor analgesia.Int J Womens Health. 2009; 1: 139
- The myth of painless childbirth (the John J. Bonica lecture).Pain. 1984; 19: 321-337
- Ethical aspects of informed consent in obstetric anesthesia--new challenges and solutions.J Clin Anesth. 2003; 15: 587-600
- Consent issues in obstetric anaesthesia.Anaesthesia. 2002; 57: 1232-1233
- Recall of risks following labor epidural analgesia.J Clin Anesth. 1998; 10: 141-144
- Patient retention and satisfaction with information exchange concerning peripheral nerve block risks.Can J Anaesth. 2017; 64: 1075-1076
- Informed consent for labour epidurals: what labouring women want to know.Can J Anaesth. 2000; 47: 1068-1073
- Information and concerns about obstetric anesthesia: a survey of 320 obstetric patients.Int J Obstet Anesth. 1996; 5: 145-151
- Epidural analgesia for labour and delivery: informed consent issues.Can J Anaesth. 1997; 44: 918-923
- Complications of obstetric regional analgesia: how much information is enough?.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2004; 13: 30-34
- Consent for regional anaesthesia in the United Kingdom: what is material risk?.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2004; 13: 71-74
- Disclosure of risks associated with regional anesthesia: a survey of academic regional anesthesiologists.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2007; 32: 7-11
- A comparison of informed consent for obstetric anaesthesia in the USA and the UK.Int J Obstet Anesth. 1995; 4: 1-6
- Informed consent for epidural analgesia in labour: a survey of UK practice.Anaesthesia. 2009; 64: 161-164
- Obstetric care of Jehovah's Witnesses: a 14-year observational study.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2007; 276: 339-343
- Practice Bulletin No. 177: obstetric analgesia and anesthesia.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 129: e73-e89
- Anesthesia and analgesia-related preferences and outcomes of women who have birth plans.J Midwifery Womens Health. 2011; 56: 376-381
- The Ulysses contract in obstetrics: a woman's choices before and during labour.J Med Ethics. 2013; 39: 27-30
- An Overview of Consent to Reproductive Health Services by Young People.(Available at:)Accessed February 9, 2020)
- Informed consent, parental permission, and assent in pediatric practice. Committee on Bioethics, American Academy of Pediatrics.Pediatrics. 1995; 95: 314-317
- Informed consent in decision-making in pediatric practice.Pediatrics. 2016; 138: e20161485
- Informed consent in decision-making in pediatric practice.Pediatrics. 2016; 138: e20161484
- Evaluation of anesthesia informed consent in pediatric practice - An observation cohort study.J Anaesthesiol Clin Pharmacol. 2019; 35: 515-521
- Parental recall of anesthesia information: informing the practice of informed consent.Anesth Analg. 2011; 112: 918-923
- Informed consent in pediatric anesthesiology.Paediatr Anaesth. 2017; 27: 1253-1260
- Informed consent: optimism versus reality.Br Dent J. 2002; 193: 221-224
- Priorities for disclosure of the elements of informed consent for research: a comparison between parents and investigators.Paediatr Anaesth. 2002; 12: 332-336
- Participation of children in clinical research: factors that influence a parent's decision to consent.Anesthesiology. 2003; 99: 819-825
- Conflicts between religious or spiritual beliefs and pediatric care: informed refusal, exemptions, and public funding.Pediatrics. 2013; 132: 962-965
- Desire for perioperative information in adult patients: a cross-sectional study.J Clin Anesth. 1997; 9: 467-472
- Parental knowledge and attitudes toward discussing the risk of death from anesthesia.Anesth Analg. 1993; 77: 256-260
- Informed consent for anesthesia: survey of current practices in Japan.J Anesth. 2005; 19: 315-319
- Practice patterns related to block selection, nerve localization and risk disclosure: a survey of the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2008; 33: 395-403
- Association of opioids and sedatives with increased risk of in-hospital cardiopulmonary arrest from an administrative database.PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0150214
- The second ASRA practice advisory on neurologic complications associated with regional anesthesia and pain medicine: executive summary 2015.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2015; 40: 401-430
- Neuraxial anesthesia and analgesia in patients with preexisting central nervous system disorders.Anesth Analg. 2006; 103 (table of contents): 223-228
- Neurologic complications after neuraxial anesthesia or analgesia in patients with preexisting peripheral sensorimotor neuropathy or diabetic polyneuropathy.Anesth Analg. 2006; 103: 1294-1299
- Ultrasound-guided regional anesthesia and patient safety: update of an evidence-based analysis.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2016; 41: 195-204
- The American Association for the Surgery of Trauma: trauma facts.(Available at:)Accessed April 9, 2020)
- How to effectively obtain informed consent in trauma patients: a systematic review.BMC Med Ethics. 2019; 20: 8
- Room for improvement: a systematic review and meta-analysis on the informed consent process for emergency surgery.Mayo Clin Proc. 2019; 94: 1786-1798
- Informed consent in the emergency department.Emerg Med Clin North Am. 1999; 17 (ix–x): 327-340
- Who decides when a patient can't? statutes on alternate decision makers.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 1478-1482
- Ethical and medicolegal considerations in the obstetric care of a Jehovah's Witness.Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 102: 173-180
- Management of the Jehovah's witness in obstetrics and gynecology: a comprehensive medical, ethical, and legal approach.Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2016; 71: 488-500
- When a parent's religious belief endangers her unborn child.Virtual Mentor. 2005; 7 (virtualmentor.2005.7.5.hlaw1-0505)
- Mercy Hospital, Inc. v. Jackson: a Recurring Dilemma for Health Care Providers in the Treatment of Jehovah's Witnesses, Md. L. Rev. 1987;46,514-532.(Available at:)Accessed February 9, 2020)
- Children of Jehovah's Witnesses and adolescent Jehovah's Witnesses: what are their rights?.Arch Dis Child. 2005; 90: 715-719
- Refusal of blood transfusions by Jehovah's witnesses.Cathol Lawyer. 2016; 10 (Available at:) (Accessed February 9, 2020): 212-226
- Witnesses on Trial: Judicial Intrusion Upon the Practices of Jehovah's Witness Parents. Fla. St. U. L. Rev.1993;21,205-222.(Available at:)Accessed February 9, 2020)
Prince v. Massachusetts, 321 U.S. 158 (1944).
- Network for the Advancement of Patient Blood Management, Haemostasis and Thrombosis (NATA); Blood Tansfusions, Jehovahs Witnesses and the American Patients Rights Movement.(Available at:)https://nataonline.com/np/405/blood-transfusions-jehovahs-witnesses-and-american-patients-rights-movement(Accessed February 9, 2020)
Mercy Hospital, Inc. v.Jackson, 306 Md. 556, 510 A.2d 562 (1986).
In re Fetus Brown. 689 N.E.2d 397 (Ill Ct. App. 1997).
- A pregnant mother's right to refuse treatment beneficial to her fetus: refusing blood transfusions.Depaul J Health Care Law. 1998; 2 (Available at:) (Accessed February 9, 2020): 361-384